The following organizations offer comprehensive preparation courses for various certifications. They also provide workshops and seminars for continuing education.
GMP Fitness, LLC
Health & Fitness Specialty Programs & Continuing Education
Fitness and Rehabilitation Videos and DVD's
GMP fitness, LLC is a company that provides continuing education specialty programs for health professionals, as well as fitness and rehabilitation books, videos and DVD's for consumers, and has become a leader in the sports fitness industry. In addition, GMP specializes in golf conditioning and promotions.
Some Examples of courses offered:
- Golf Conditioning Specialist
- Exercise Development Specialist
- Postural Analysis Specialist
- Total Body Flexibility Specialist
- Lower Body Stabilization Specialist
Check out this site for more information about these profit making courses!
GMP fitness specialty programs are approved and accepted for continuing education credits by the following organizations:
- ACE - American Council on Exercise
- ACSM - American College of Sports Medicine
- AFPA - American Fitness Professionals Association
- AAHFRP - American Academy of Health and Rehab. Fitness Prof.
- BCRPA - British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association
- BSMI - Baylor Sports Medicine Institute
- IFPA - International Fitness Professionals Association
- ISFTA - International Sports & Fitness Trainers Association
- ISSA - International Sports Sciences Association
- NASM - National Academy of Sports Medicine
- NATABOC - National Athletic Trainers Assn. Brd. of Cert.
- NCSF - National Council of Strength and Fitness
- NCHEC approved credits 15.5 CECH
- NDEITA - National Fitness Professional Training Association
- NFPT - National Federation of Professional Trainers
- NSPA - National Strength Professionals Association
- WITS - World Instructor Training Schools
Desert Southwest Fitness Inc.
The Desert Southwest Fitness Center for Continuing Education offers a course selection of over 70 home study programs. All of their courses are produced by industry professionals with advanced degrees and extensive practical experience in their specialty area. Their courses allow students to upgrade specific skills that are necessary for career enhancement while providing the opportunity to fulfill continuing education credits.
The mission of Desert Southwest Fitness is to provide the highest quality distance education courses and services for fitness, wellness, rehabilitation, and medical professionals.
Some examples of courses are:
- Assessing Core Function
- Balance Training, A Program for Improving Balance in Older Adults
- Basic Training for Running
- Client-Centered Exercise Prescription
- Core Conditioning Exercises
- Creatine Supplementation: Theory and Practice
- Creative Choreography
- Dynamic Medicine Ball Training
- Dynamic Stretch
This is just a small sample of course offerings. Check out their site for more!
Desert Southwest Fitness correspondence courses are approved and accepted for continuing education credits by the following organizations. Please check the course descriptions for courses accepted by your organization. Contact the organizations directly for information regarding their certifications.
- ABMP (Associated Bodywork & Massage Professionals)
- ACE (American Council on Exercise)
- ACSM (American College of Sports Medicine)
- AEA (Aquatic Exercise Association)
- AFAC (Australian Fitness Advisory Council)
- AFLCA (Alberta Fitness Leadership Certification Association)
- AFPI (Asian Fitness Professionals Institute)
- AIFE (American Institute of Fitness Educators)
- AQUA (Aquatic Fitness Professionals Association International)
- BCRPA (British Columbia Recreation and Parks Association)
- CAN-FIT-PRO (Canadian Assn. of Fitness Professionals)
- CI (The Cooper Institute)
- CMTBC (College of Massage Therapists of British Columbia)
- COPS-KT (Council on Prof. Standards Kinesiotherapy)
- HFPA (Health & Fitness Professionals Assn./So. Africa)
- ICEA (International Childbirth Education Association)
- IFPA (International Fitness Professionals Association)
- ISSA (International Sports Sciences Association)
- IWA (International Weightlifting Association)
- NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine)
- NASN (National Association of Sports Nutrition)
- NATABOC (National Athletic Trainers Assn. Brd. of Cert.)
- NCCAP (National Certification Council for Activities Professionals)
- NCHEC (Nat. Comm. for Health Education Credentialing)
- NCSF (National Council of Strength and Fitness)
- NDEITA (National Fitness Professional Training Association, Inc.)
- NFPT (National Federation of Professional Trainers)
- NSCA (National Strength and Conditioning Association)
- NSPA (National Strength Professionals Association)
- SFA (American Senior Fitness Association)
- W.I.T.S. (World Instructor Training Schools)
Exercise ETC. Inc.
Based in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., Exercise ETC. offers education, training and certification programs in over 50 cities nationwide, as well as a complete selection of home study materials. Their mission is to provide the fitness, dietetic and physical therapy communities with affordable and accessible education programs.
They provide exam preparation courses for:
- ACE Personal Trainer Certification
- NSCA Personal Trainer Certification
Home Study Preparation materials for the NSCA-CSCS Examination are also available.
Exercise ETC. also provides correspondence courses for Continuing Education Credits. Some of their courses include:
- Exercise and Special Populations
- Health Screening and Assessment
- Periodizing Your Clients Program
- Interval Training for Health and Fitness
- Exercise for Back Stabilization
Plus many more! Check out their site for further course offerings.
All of their programs have been approved for continuing education credits as specified below:
- 0.2 ACE
- 2.0 ISSA
- 0.2 CSCS/NSCA
- 2.0 NASM
- 2.0 NATA
- 2.0 AIFE
- 1.0 NCSF
The Fitness Firm
The Fitness Firm, founded in 1979 by Patti Mantia, Owner and Director, provides workshops and training for those interested in pursuing careers in the fitness world. The Fitness Firm educational programs are led by the most distinguished group of health and fitness advisors.
The Fitness Firm provides the following programs:
Personal Trainer Certification Preparation
The course includes both theoretical and practical information necessary for the role of the trainer. Topics include anatomy, kinesiology, cardiovascular fitness, resistance training, body composition, nutrition, flexibility and assessments frequently used by the trainer. Students will use case studies to apply knowledge to the practical environment. A manual which includes detailed illustrations and an easy follow guide to anatomy, norm charts, weightroom exercises, marketing materials and more is provided. This course was developed by Dr. Patti Mantia, AFAA Master Specialist and author of the AFAA Scientific Principles of Strength Training Program. This course provides 15 AFAA credits.
Learn how to use a therapeutic ball in group exercise and with your personal training clients. Ball training addresses the components of fitness plus stability, balance and coordination This workshop includes the science behind ball training and a "hands-on" approach to exercises.
This sports nutrition program provides insightful guidelines on how to maximize training performance and results through personalized nutrition. Learn the role of key nutrients, interrelation of food, metabolism and energy, and the most important information about nutrients and performance enhancing supplements. This course is instructed by nutrition expert, Dr. Jack Hart, and is offered at the whirlwind weekend programs.
Workshops in Fitness
The Fitness Firm offers weekend programs to provide you with up-to-date information and continuing education credits to maintain your certification. These programs are offered at our Whirlwind Weekends for a very reasonable fee! Also, keep an eye out for our distance education programs that will debut in the spring of 2001!
The Fitness Firm also offers an online course entitled " Current Issues and Trends in Health and Fitness". Go to the site for registration.
Infofit, founded by Andre Potvin, M.Sc, CES, CSCS, is a dynamic fitness leadership certification company. They specialize in exam preparation courses and continuing education workshops in the following:
- Post-Injury Rehabilitation
- Clinical Exercise Prescription
- Personal Training
- Weight Training Instructor
- Fitness Class Instructor
- Nutritional Science
- Business Management
- Fitness Theory/Exercise Science
Infofit's courses and workshops are recognized for credit by American Council on Exercise (ACE), National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), BCRPA and Can-Fit Pro.
Strong, Stretched & Centered Inc.
Their 6-week program in Maui, Hawaii offers a comprehensive mind/body fitness instructor training school. They offer specialty certification in yoga, pilates and integrated movement as well as programs for personal trainers, lifestyle consultants, and/or aerobics instructors. They also prepare their students for the American Council on Exercise (ACE) and other industry certification exams.
The following is a sample of the curriculum areas covered:
- Providing Personal Training
- Sciences - Anatomy and Physiology, Nutrition, etc.
- Science of Flexibility
- Additional Biomechanics and Kinesiology
- Health Screening and Fitness Testing
- Special Populations
- Injury Prevention
- Mind-Body integration
- Group Communications
- T'ai Chi Ch'uan
- Public Presentation
- In Home Training
- Exercise Adherence and Motivation & The Learning Process
- Business and Marketing
- Native Hawaiian Health Practices
- Industry Certification Exam Review
- CPR/First Aid Certificate
- Ropes Challenge Course